Cheap Land in Kentucky near Morehead
Live free just 15 minutes outside Morehead in these 15 acres of rolling hills, bursting with virgin timber and wildlife, but with access to utilities – the best of both worlds!
- No Restrictions
- Paved Road Frontage
- Priced about 23% Below Market
- Abundant Deer & Wildlife
- Power & Water Available
- Cheap Taxes (about $21/year)
- Only 15 mins to Morehead; 30 mins to Cave Run Lake
PROPERTY: This unique 15-acre property is a dream come true for any hunter, outdoor enthusiast, or freedom lover! 224 feet of paved road frontage, lined with power and municipal water, and offering virgin timber, rolling hills and abundant wildlife. Best of all, with NO RESTRICTIONS on the land, you have an unbridled opportunity to bring your dreams to life here. Enjoy the best of both worlds – peace and quiet in this lightly populated neighborhood while still being just 15 minutes away from major shopping in downtown Morehead and 30 minutes away from Cave Run Lake. The 8000+ acre lake is eastern Kentucky’s largest, and famous for its excellent bass fishing, hiking, and watersports. Don’t miss out on your chance to own this incredible piece of land at an unbeatable Acretown price!
Call or text Scott directly at 314.639.9777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to make an offer. We’ve posted a lot of info below – including critical instructions for visiting the property – so please keep reading!
Best Deal in the Market – Check Zillow or Realtor and You’ll Agree!
After opening this map, you may see even more information about the area by clicking on Map Legend, then Overlays.
- SIZE: 15.0 acres
- ADDRESS (street # estimated – use GPS for navigation): 2588 Open Fork Rd, Morehead KY 40351
- GPS COORDINATES: 38.225774, -83.314656
- APN: 135-00-00-034.06
- ABRIDGED LEGAL DESCRIPTION: 15A+- OPEN FORK ROAD
- FULL LEGAL DESCRIPTION: download here
- PLAT MAP/SURVEY: coming soon (get boundary/KML file here – opens in Google Earth)
- TITLE: General Warranty deed (clean – no back taxes, no liens)
- MINERAL RIGHTS: any mineral rights we own will convey to buyer (we have no knowledge of severance of mineral rights by a previous owner)
- DIMENSIONS (approximate): starting at SW corner, 224′ N (along road) x 1839′ E x 532′ S x 2107′ W (along driveway) to POB
- FLOODPLAIN: none, no wetlands
- ELEVATION: 1254 feet
- TERRAIN: rolling
- CONDITION: undeveloped, wooded
- ACCESS: 224 feet of direct frontage on Open Fork Road, a paved public road
- POWER: available along road
- WATER: available along road
- WASTEWATER: none (septic system would need to be installed)
- The built-in savings you receive on all Acretown properties frees up extra money to install a variety of conventional and more modern, non-conventional septic systems, like mound systems, pressurized dosing, plastic chamber leach fields, aerobic treatment, etc. (which have become popular solutions to non-satisfactory perc tests).
- TAXES: $20.44 in 2022
- HOA: none
- RESTRICTIONS/ZONING: no zoning, NO RESTRICTIONS – do what you want with your land!
- homes and accompanying outbuildings such as garages, workshops, barns are all OK
- no size/height restriction on homes/structures on the lot
- no setback requirements
- no time limit to build – leave the lot as-is for as long as you want or need
- RVs, campers, mobile homes, cabins, tiny homes are all OK
- animals, livestock, etc OK
- no HOA or CC+R’s
- or, simply leave it as-is and enjoy being surrounded by nature!
- homes and accompanying outbuildings such as garages, workshops, barns are all OK
- SCHOOL DISTRICTS: Rodburn (Elementary) – Rowan County (Middle School) – Rowan County (High School)
- NEAREST CITIES: Morehead < Lexington < Cincinnati
- NEAREST AIRPORTS: Lexington Bluegrass (1 hr 24 mins), Cincinnati International (2 hours 10 mins)
- COUNTY GOVERNMENT:
- Assessor (606) 784-5512
- Treasurer (606) 784-4211
- Clerk/Recorder (606) 784-5212
IMPORTANT! The interior driveway is not part of our property. To view the property, park along the side of Open Fork Road and then walk along the north side of the driveway, but do not walk on the driveway itself.
You can go view the property at your convenience – owner does not need to accompany. Please call/text us to let us know you’re heading out, so we can ensure we have our phone on us in case you need help or have any questions. We’d appreciate a couple hours notice if possible. In case you lose cell phone service, it may be helpful to print off as many helpful documents as you can before you head out there.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS: Click HERE to open the destination in Google Maps, and simply enter your starting point to get step-by-step directions.
- From this link, you can press “Directions” (on the left), enter your starting point, and Google Maps will provide you with step-by-step directions.
- You can also click “Send to Phone” if you’re viewing this on your computer
- And “Save” to download the directions so they’ll still work if you lose cell service.
If for some reason you’re having trouble with that link, you can navigate to GPS Coordinates 38.225774, -83.314656.
WALKING THE PROPERTY LINES w/YOUR PHONE: We highly recommend downloading Google Earth to your phone if you don’t already have it. Then . . .
- Download the property boundary file (called a KML or KMZ file) here. You may be prompted to click “download” one more time, so do that . . . OR you may be prompted to immediately open the file with Google Earth and, in that case, do that and ignore the remaining steps. Otherwise . . .
- Open Google Earth
- Go to the main menu (the three horizontal lines at the top left of the screen), then Projects > Open > Import KML file > select the KML file you just downloaded (it should show up on that screen).
Now you should be able to see the property lines on the map, and the green dot represents where you’re currently standing. This is a very important tool to learn BEFORE you head out there. Please call us if you have any questions about it.
Cave Run Lake is, without a doubt, the regional epicenter for outdoor recreation and it’s only a half hour away! Aside from the world-class fishing and fun in the sun, visitors can take a boat tour around this 8,270-acre lake, or visit nearby places like the Zilpo Scenic Overlook and Twin Knobs Recreation Area to hike trails and observe wildlife. Just outside of the lake lies Daniel Boone National Forest, providing over 677,000 acres of wooded forestland for activities like hiking, biking, horseback riding, and camping. There are also several nearby golf course too, like Morehead Country Club and Eagle Trace. Despite the country feel to this property, you’re still only 15 minutes outside Morehead, which features unique local attractions such as Morehead State University’s Planetarium & Science Center. Additionally, nearby Cave Run Winery provides tours and tastings for visitors looking to experience Kentucky’s best wines. You’ll also find a Walmart here and other big box chains.
MOREHEAD (15 minutes, nearest city, Walmart)
- RETAIL – Walmart, Lowe’s, Big Lots, Tractor Supply Co, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Goodwill, Kroger, many others
- RESTAURANTS – Dairy Queen, Huddle House, Cracker Barrel, McDonald’s, Starbucks, Dominos, Taco Bell, Chick-fil-A, Wendy’s, Sonic, KFC, Buffalo Wild Wings, Fazoli’s, Arby’s, Steak n Shake, many others
- MEDICAL SERVICES? Yes, hospital, specialists, vets
- RECREATIONAL – Rodburn Hollow Park, Kentucky Folk Art Center, Morehead State Planetarium, Lockegee Rock, Sheltowee Falls Splash Pad, movie theater
LEXINGTON (1 hr 21 mins, nearest major city)
OWNER FINANCING: We do not offer owner-financing but you could get a loan through a bank or another lender and we’d be happy to coordinate with them.
OUTSIDE FINANCING: Your best deal for financing will come from a local bank or credit union and we can help you find a great deal. Land loans typically require about 15-25% down.
Rural 1st is America’s leading land lender for rural properties and they require as little as 15% down on a 10 or 15-year fixed land loan, with no PMI, and they prefer a credit score of 720 or better. Please contact Michael Wirth by phone or email at (502) 553-8152 or email@example.com. They do serve Kentucky.
Here are two more options: (1) Shon Messmer of AgCredit at (270) 727-9375. His typical terms are 10% down on land-only, and 5% down on land+construction. (2) Bob Smith of Mercantile Bank of Michigan at (616) 560-8071, firstname.lastname@example.org. His typical terms are 10% down payment, 2.75% interest, and no PMI, and their minimum credit score = 690.
Call or text Scott directly at 314.639.9777 or email at email@example.com if you’d like to discuss an offer.
FOR SALE BY OWNER: We are investors, and are selling this lot For-Sale-By-Owner. You do not need to submit your offer through a real estate agent, and in our experience we close transactions more quickly and easily by having our dedicated transaction coordinator work directly with the Title Company and Buyers. We will also both save money on commission/fees by cutting out agents as the middle men. However, if you feel strongly about working with a Realtor, then you’re welcome to have them contact us on your behalf.
WHY ARE YOU SELLING IT SO CHEAP? We are often asked why we price our properties at below market value, and the answer is really simple: because we can, and that’s our core business model. We are investors who purchase properties at a large volume and deeply liquidated rates, and by passing this discount on to our buyers, we can sell land quickly . . . and more of it! In fact, our average property only lasts 2-3 weeks on the market (vs. industry average of about 6 months).
DISCLAIMER: We attempt to provide detailed, accurate and up-to-date information in our listings, in order to help our buyers to the best of our ability. However, it ultimately remains the buyer’s responsibility to perform their own due diligence and double check any details that are of significant importance to you including acreage, utilities, build-ability, and approved/allowable use-age for the property. We are happy to help however we can.