NEVER BOUGHT LAND? NO PROBLEM! WE’LL HELP YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE PROPERTY IN-PERSON? HOW DO I DO THAT?
It’s easy – just head out at your earliest convenience, but please keep the following issues in mind:
(1) ACCESS: Please check the specific property listing for detailed access instructions and photos. We try our best to make it very easy for you to find our properties. If you have any questions about accessing the lot, call us any time.
(2) NOTIFY: Please give us at least a few hours of notice before you head out so that we can make sure we have our phone on us in case you have questions while you’re out there or need help finding the lot.
(3) PROPERTY LINES: There is a great app called BaseMap, which works like a GPS for property lines, and allows you to walk the property lines of any parcel on an interactive map. It works off your phone’s GPS so doesn’t need cell service to work.We use this app all the time, and recommend it highly.
(4) BACKUP PLAN: A wise man once said, “I love it when a plan comes together.” Actually that man was Hannibal from the A-Team. Plans — and cell phone signals — do sometimes fail though (especially in rural areas), so please consider downloading the printable, one-page Property Summary available on the property listing page, as well as any additional photos and maps that may help direct you to the property.
HOW DOES THE “BUY NOW” BUTTON WORK?
- The Buy Now button makes it easy . . . just click, enter your contact info (name, phone, email) and click on the icon that matches how you would like to pay (PayPal, PayPal credit card, or other credit card).
- This $499 payment is applicable to the purchase price and will hold the property for 24 hours to allow time for you to sign and return our simple one-page contract.
- If you decide not to sign within 24 hours, we will refund the full $499 back to your account and put the property back on the market.
- Once the contract is executed, additional earnest money (usually $500) will be due within 48 hours and we will schedule the closing date with you.
- For using the Buy Now button here, you will receive $500 off the listed Purchase Price!
I’M READY TO BUY. WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS TO RESERVE THIS PROPERTY AND KEEP IT OFF THE MARKET?
Congratulations! If you’d like to move forward with a purchase, please call or email to let us know — reserving the property is a simple 3-step process.
(1) PURCHASER NAME: We will need to know what name you would like to purchase the property in – whether it’s an individual, trust, or company, or if multiple people will be listed on the deed.
(2) PURCHASE AGREEMENT: We will then send you a Purchase Agreement by mail, fax, or email – whatever’s easiest for you. Email is the fastest and will ensure you can secure the property immediately. If you choose email, we’ll use DocuSign for electronic signatures. After you sign the documents, just send them back to us along with earnest money to hold the property for you. Earnest money down payment is typically $500.
(3) TITLE COMPANY: From there, we will handle closing with a local Title Company. We close ALL of our transactions at licensed and insured title companies to protect both you (the buyer) and us (the seller).
WHAT DOES THE CLOSING PROCESS LOOK LIKE?
You can expect the closing process to take 2-4 weeks, but we will confirm the exact closing date with you as soon as we know.
(1) SIGN TITLE DOCUMENTS: You do not need to travel to the title company to close. We can have the Title Company email you any documents they need your signature on, and you can take them to a local notary for signing. You can then send them to the Title Company (with an overnight label provided by the title company).
(2) FUND THE TRANSACTION: You’ll never be asked to send us money directly – you’ll send the purchase funds to the licensed/insured Title Company, who will hold the funds in escrow until the transaction is ready to close. Wire transfers are preferable, but if you prefer, a certified check would also be acceptable.
(3) TAKE YOUR LAND! The Title Company will not release these funds to us until they’ve run the title search, sent you the settlement statement, and closing is complete.
HOW DO BACKUP CONTRACTS WORK?
If someone else put a property under contract right before you were able to do it, don’t give up yet! Sometimes contracts do fall through and, in those cases, we award the new contract to the next person in line. In short, if you want to make sure you don’t miss out again, you can enter a backup contract for $499. That is 100% refundable and does apply to the purchase price. If the contract does slide to you, then the additional earnest money is due (usually $500 and also applicable to the purchase price) and we proceed to closing the deal with the Title Company.
IS MY EARNEST MONEY REFUNDABLE?
Once you execute a contract as the active buyer on the property, the Earnest Money is applicable to the purchase price but non-refundable. It’s very important to note, however — and this is an industry-unique benefit that Acretown provides — that if you cancel your contract with us, we don’t just “take your money and run” like almost everyone else in the real estate business. We will hold that money on account for you as a credit and will apply that credit to any future earnest money payment you make for any future Acretown land deal. We want you as a customer and we want to sell land, not contracts!
On the other hand, if you’re the back-up buyer for a property and the original buyer does successfully close on the property, then we’re obviously forced to cancel the back-up deal and we immediately refund 100% of the earnest money that you paid.
WHY DON’T YOU OFFER OWNER-FINANCING?
The short answer is: We are a small, family-owned business – not a bank.
By separating ourselves from the financing business altogether, and thus not adding the risk of default into our pricing structure, we’re able to offer the lowest possible prices on land.
If you look at most owner financed options they are overpriced relative to everything else on the market and have a high interest rate along with extra fees added into the deal.
There is a pervasive myth that you cannot get a loan to buy raw land. We have worked with many financed buyers and the interest rates banks offer these days cannot be beat.
You’re always welcome to research and contact local lenders if you need financing. And we will do our best to connect you with helpful lenders in the area.
YOUR PRICES ARE TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. WHAT’S THE CATCH?
We are investors who purchase properties at large volume and discounted rates, and we strongly believe in passing this discount on to our buyers. We source our properties from many channels but the thing in common with all of them is we are acquiring the property from a seller who no longer wants their property and is willing to sell it dramatically below its value.
Our three-pronged goal is:
(1) Provide Excellent Customer Service via every communication channel available.
(2) Minimize Risk for Our Customers by researching and providing as much property information as possible. About 90% of the properties we research buying don’t make the cut. We only want high quality land with hassle-free titles. By extending that research arm even further, after we’ve actually purchased the land, the property and listing you finally get to see has been double-filtered for quality, thoroughness, and transparency.
(3) Offer the Lowest Possible Prices per acre by keeping our small company incredibly lean and efficient. We have cut out the middle man (real estate agents and brokers) by selling direct to you and keep our overhead low by selling our land over the internet. These savings are in turn passed along to you.
Here’s what we found after decades of research: low prices make people happy! OK, maybe that’s more common sense than research-based, but by operating on thinner margins, we create more happy customers, and happy customers spread the word and produce even more happy customers, and that’s great for everyone’s bottom line.
HOW CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT THE PROPERTY?
We include everything that we know about the property in the listings on our website. If the property has an HOA or any CC+Rs, we include these documents in the listing as well.
Rest assured, if you have questions about the property that aren’t addressed in the listing, just let us know and we’ll do our best to find those answers for you.
We also include the contact information for the county, local utility companies and service providers, so that if you have any additional questions, you can make those calls directly.
In our experience, it is more efficient for you to have those conversations directly with the source of this information, so as to ensure you’re asking all of the relevant questions (and follow up questions) that arise while doing your due diligence. We always recommend that our buyers double check any information that is of particular importance to them with the original source of our info.
WHAT KIND OF LAND DO YOU SELL?
We specialize in rural, vacant land.
Some of our property may have service (i.e. sewer, water, power, etc.) and some of our property may be completely raw (i.e. no utilities). All of our listings include exhaustive info on the status of utilities, access, and buildability.
DOES THIS PROPERTY HAVE ANY LIENS OR BACK TAXES?
No, all of the properties that we sell come with clear title, and are free of any back taxes or liens.
To minimize your risk, we conduct thorough due diligence on our properties and pass this information on to you. Furthermore, all of our transactions are closed by a reputable Title Company, and the titles are insurable by nationally recognized Title Insurance Companies.
WHAT ABOUT UTILITIES?
Some of our properties have utilities, and some do not.
Any information we have about the status of utilities on a lot is included in the listing description.
We have a dedicated page on our website that provides resources and info on raw land improvement, which touches on some alternatives to traditional utilities (septic, solar, compost toilets, etc.).
ARE YOU REAL ESTATE BROKERS?
No, we are investors and the owners of every piece of land you see on our website. Keeping brokers away helps keep our prices as low as possible. More on that issue in the next question …
DO I NEED A REAL ESTATE AGENT OR REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY?
No, but if you wish to involve your realtor or real estate lawyer and have them review any element of the transaction, you’re more than welcome to do so! We’re happy to work with them and provide any information they request.
Simply put, purchasing directly from us cuts out the middle-man, and we’ve spent significant time and money to research and provide to you as much information as possible about our properties. We want you to walk into this transaction with “eyes wide open” and comfortable enough to proceed without the service of a realtor. Realtors charge an average commission of 6% for their services. By selling our properties direct to you we are able to eliminate this fee and pass the savings along to you. If you purchase directly from us, you pay only the cost of the property and your share of closing costs.
Part of the reason we are able to offer our land at discounted prices is that we have eliminated many of the “middlemen” whose services add significant costs to the completion of a deal. Personally, we like good, cheap land and we assume you like it too!
IS TITLE INSURANCE AVAILABLE?
Yes! All of our transactions are closed by reputable local Title Companies, and the titles are insurable by nationally recognized Title Insurance Companies.
HOW MUCH ARE CLOSING COSTS?
These vary by property and location, but closing costs usually run around $500, but some large parcels, depending on the location, may cost up to $1500, or even higher in rare cases.