YES, THIS ONE SOLD BUT DON’T GIVE UP! WE HAVE MORE GREAT DEALS HERE
Cheap Land in Connecticut near New Haven
Only five minutes from West Rock State Park, surrounded by large, mature trees, and with a small stream running through your front yard, it’s hard to believe you’re so close to major shopping and dining.
- Stream thru Front Yard
- Paved Road
- All Utilities
- Near Major Parks, Recreation, & Shopping
- Very Buildable, No Floodplain
- Priced about 27% Below Market
PROPERTY: This 1.22 acre lot is moderately wooded and features about 272 feet of paved road frontage. There are no structures on site, but all utilities — power, water, and sewer — do run along both frontage roads so the whole package is ready for your development. The lot has only a gentle slope so, with no floodplain or wetlands encroachments, it’s very buildable. You’ll surely enjoy the pleasant sights and sounds of the small brook that meanders east-west through the front yard — a perfect accent to this peaceful, idylic neighborhood, which is only modestly populated and dotted with high-end homes. When you’re ready for natural adventure, several dramatic state parks await within minutes of your front door and the closest is West Rock State Park only 5 minutes down the street. Several others, all within a half hour, include East Rock, Sleeping Giant, Quinipiac, and Lighthouse Point parks. Whether you’re in the mood for hiking, biking, fishing, floating, or basking on the beach, they’ve got you covered. Lighthouse Point Park is New Haven’s crown jewel and its namesake lighthouse is almost two centuries old and offers a century-old 69-horse carousel ride for 50 cents! Modern shopping and dining conveniences surround you here too though, as Walmart and many other big box retailers are located in downtown Hamden, just 7 minutes away. The port city of New Haven, proud home to Yale University, is only an 18-minute drive and offers even more metropolitan and maritime delights. Of course, nothing compares to New York City and if you’re ready to kick it up a few notches, take the 90 minute drive to the City that Never Sleeps.
Call or text Scott directly at 314.639.9777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to make an offer. We’ve posted a lot of info below – including critical instructions for visiting the property – so please keep reading!
Best Deal in the Market – Check Zillow or Realtor and You’ll Agree!
After opening this map, you may see even more information about the area by clicking on Map Legend, then MapRight Layers.
- SIZE: 1.22 acres
- ADDRESS (street # estimated): 980 Benham Street, Hamden, CT 06514
- GPS COORDINATES (center of lot): 41.368836, -72.958283
- APN: HAMD-002522-000018 (original APN# 1139158)
- PLAT MAP/SURVEY: see city’s GIS plat map here (get boundary/KML file here – opens in Google Earth)
- LEGAL DESCRIPTION: download here
- TITLE: clean General Warranty deed – no back taxes, no liens
- MINERAL RIGHTS: transferred with property
- DIMENSIONS (approximate): starting at NW corner, 141′ NE (along Benham Hill Place) x 131′ SE (along Benham Street) x 286′ south x 183′ west x 252′ north to POB
- FLOODPLAIN: none
- ELEVATION: 311 feet
- TERRAIN: gently sloped, very buildable
- CONDITION: undeveloped, wooded
- ACCESS: about 141 feet of direct frontage on Benham Hill Place + about 131 feet of direct frontage on Benham Street
- POWER: available thru United Illuminating Company (800) 722-5584
- WATER: available along road thru Regional Water Authority (203) 562-4020
- WASTEWATER: available along Benham Hill Place road thru GNHWPCA (203) 466-5280
- CELL COVERAGE: 5G thru AT&T and T-Mobile, 4G thru Verizon (according to Signal Checker here)
- TAXES: $2867.00 in 2021
- SCHOOL DISTRICTS: Hamden (Dunbar Elementary, Hamden Middle, Hamden High)
- RESTRICTIONS/ZONING: R2 (Residential, summarized below, download full zoning doc here)
- max building coverage = 15%
- max building height = 35 feet
- min building setbacks = 40 feet from street, 20 feet from side, 40 feet from rear
- accessory buildings allowed (max height 15 feet)
- see zoning charts here
- HOA: none
- NEAREST CITIES: Hamden < New Haven < New York City
- NEAREST AIRPORTS: Tweed New Haven (26 mins), LaGuardia (1 hour 30 mins)
- CITY GOVERNMENT:
- Assessor (203) 287-7128
- Treasurer (203) 287-7140
- Clerk (203) 287-7028
- Planning & Zoning (203) 287-7070
You can go view the property at your convenience – owner does not need to accompany. Please call/text us to let us know you’re heading out, so we can ensure we have our phone on us in case you need help or have any questions. We’d appreciate a couple hours notice if possible. In case you lose cell phone service, it may be helpful to print off as many helpful documents as you can before you head out there.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS: Click HERE to open the destination in Google Maps, and simply enter your starting point to get step-by-step directions.
- From this link, you can press “Directions” (on the left), enter your starting point, and Google Maps will provide you with step-by-step directions.
- You can also click “Send to Phone” if you’re viewing this on your computer
- And “Save” to download the directions so they’ll still work if you lose cell service.
If for some reason you’re having trouble with that link, you can navigate to GPS Coordinates 41.368836, -72.958283.
WALKING THE PROPERTY LINES w/YOUR PHONE: We highly recommend downloading Google Earth to your phone if you don’t already have it. Then . . .
- Download the property boundary file (called a KML or KMZ file) here. You may be prompted to click “download” one more time, so do that . . . OR you may be prompted to immediately open the file with Google Earth and, in that case, do that and ignore the remaining steps. Otherwise . . .
- Open Google Earth
- Go to the main menu (the three horizonatal lines at the top left of the screen), then Projects > Open > Import KML file > select the KML file you just downloaded (it should show up on that screen).
Now you should be able to see the property lines on the map, and the green dot represents where you’re currently standing. This is a very important tool to learn BEFORE you head out there. Please call us if you have any questions about it.
When you’re ready for natural adventure, several dramatic state parks await within minutes of your front door and the closest is West Rock State Park only 5 minutes down the street. Several others, all within a half hour, include East Rock, Sleeping Giant, Quinipiac, and Lighthouse Point parks. Whether you’re in the mood for hiking, biking, fishing, floating, or basking on the beach, they’ve got you covered. Lighthouse Point Park is New Haven’s crown jewel and its namesake lighthouse is almost two centuries old and offers a century-old 69-horse carousel ride for 50 cents! Modern shopping and dining conveniences surround you here too though, as Walmart and many other big box retailers are located in downtown Hamden, just 7 minutes away. The port city of New Haven, proud home to Yale University, is only an 18-minute drive and offers even more metropolitan and maritime delights. Of course, nothing compares to New York City and if you’re ready to kick it up a few notches, take the 90 minute drive to the City that Never Sleeps.
NEARBY RECREATION: West Rock State Park (5 mins), East Rock Park (16 mins), Lake Wintergreen, Mill River, Darling House Museum, Lake Whitney, Laurel View Country Club, Sleeping Giant State Park (13 mins), Quinnipiac River State Park (19 mins), Yale University Art Gallery, Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, The Green in downtown New Haven, Lighthouse Point Park (30 mins), Shubert Theater, Leitner Family Observatory & Planetarium, Savin Rock Park
HAMDEN (7 minutes, nearest shopping & Walmart, “Land of the Sleeping Giant”)
- RETAIL: Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohl’s, Old Navy, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Staples, Dollar Tree, Walgreens, CVS, many others
- RESTAURANTS: Starbucks, McDonald’s, Taco Bell, Popeye’s, Wendy’s, Panera, Chipotle, IHOP, TGI Friday’s, many others
- MEDICAL SERVICES? Yes, hospital, dentists, specialists, family doctors, pharamacies, vets
NEW HAVEN (18 minutes, nearest major city, home of Yale University)
Call or text Scott directly at 314.639.9777 or email at email@example.com if you’d like to discuss an offer.
FOR SALE BY OWNER: We are investors, and are selling this lot For-Sale-By-Owner. You do not need to submit your offer through a real estate agent, and in our experience we close transactions more quickly and easily by having our dedicated transaction coordinator work directly with the Title Company and Buyers. We will also both save money on commission/fees by cutting out agents as the middle men. However, if you feel strongly about working with a Realtor, then you’re welcome to have them contact us on your behalf.
OWNER FINANCING: We do not offer owner-financing but you could get a loan through a bank or another lender and we’d be happy to coordinate with them.
OUTSIDE FINANCING: We recommend Milford Bank in New Haven as your best deal for a land loan. Call Eva at (203) 783-5720. She offers 15-year, fixed rate land loans for a minimum of 35% down and prefers credit scores of at least 640.
WHY ARE YOU SELLING IT SO CHEAP? We are often asked why we price our properties at below market value, and the answer is really simple: because we can, and that’s our core business model. We are investors who purchase properties at a large volume and deeply liquidated rates, and by passing this discount on to our buyers, we can sell land quickly . . . and more of it! In fact, our average property only lasts 2-3 weeks on the market (vs. industry average of about 6 months).
DISCLAIMER: We attempt to provide detailed, accurate and up-to-date information in our listings, in order to help our buyers to the best of our ability. However, it ultimately remains the buyer’s responsibility to perform their own due diligence and double check any details that are of significant importance to you including acreage, utilities, build-ability, and approved/allowable use-age for the property. We are happy to help however we can.