NEW PRICE DROP! We had our competition beat at
$450K, and now it’s a blowout at $349K!
Cheap Land in Decatur, Illinois
Re-develop this beautiful, abandoned golf course site nestled between Stevens Creek and the nice, safe Arbor Drive neighborhood of north Decatur.
- No Deed Restrictions
- Creek Along Boundary
- Beautiful Grounds
- Developer’s Special – Priced about 28% Below Market!
- Almost 10 acres of Buildable Space
- All Utilities Available
PROPERTY: Here’s your chance to create a brand new residential subdivision along Stevens Creek (how about “The Meadows @ Stevens Creek”?) in this upper-middle class area of Decatur. This was previously a golf club & swimming pool resort and it has been steadily maintained since its closure. The grounds are still beautiful and the brick-construction clubhouse is currently very clean and sound. Just beyond the gate at the end of Sun & Fun Drive is a parking lot to the right, cul-de-sac and clubhouse & pool straight ahead, and golf course to the left. You have about 10 acres of flat & elevated ground on the east side of the property to develop creekside lots, while the golf course area to the west, which mostly lies within floodplain, can be used as a community park amenity (or even a driving range). A bike path has already been developed on the north and east sides of Stevens Creek, so connecting, expanding, or complementing that feature into this property would add immense value. Indeed, take one short walk around and it’s easy to see the vast potential of this property as the future prize of north Decatur! Power runs into the property and water and sewer runs along Sun & Fun Drive, waiting to be extended beyond the gate here. Well and septic is the current setup. The city of Decatur offers boundless recreational opportunities, with Lake Decatur just 17 minutes to the south, home to historic Nelson Park, and offering water sports, wildlife vistas, miniature golf, dining, public gardens and picnic facilities on over 2,800 acres of water and 30 miles of shoreline. Major shopping, including Sam’s Club, Walmart, Ross, Lowe’s, and Kohl’s, is only a few minutes away from this spot. Don’t miss out on this incredible development opportunity at a discounted Acretown price – grab it today!
The best and most updated source of information on this fine property will always be at https://www.acretown.com/decatur
Call or text Scott directly at 314.639.9777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to make an offer. We’ve posted a lot of info below – including critical instructions for visiting the property – so please keep reading!
Best Deal in the Market – Check Zillow or Realtor and You’ll Agree!
After opening this map, you may see even more information about the area by clicking on Map Legend, then Overlays.
- ADDRESS (street # estimated – use GPS for navigation): 8 Sun & Fun Court, Decatur IL 62526
- SIZE: 18.48 acres
- GPS COORDINATES: 39.906000, -88.961139
- APN: 07-07-22-456-014 + 07-07-22-476-001 + 07-07-27-201-035
- ABRIDGED LEGAL DESCRIPTION:
- 07-07-22-456-014 = 12.68 ACS PT W1/2 SE1/4 LYG US 51 BEG INTER E LN & S ROW SD RD S717.31 W433.05 N230 W705 N200 W140.39 N TO S ROW SD RD E TO POB
- 07-07-22-476-001 = 4.8 ACS SW COR E1/2 SE1/4 LYG SW OF I-72 96BK2645/91
- 07-07-27-201-035 = E196.41 N221.78 NW1/4 NE1/4 96BK2645/91
- FULL LEGAL DESCRIPTION: download here
- PLAT MAP/SURVEY: none (get boundary/KML file here – opens in Google Earth)
- TITLE: General Warranty deed (clean – no back taxes, no liens)
- MINERAL RIGHTS: any mineral rights we own will convey to buyer (we have no knowledge of severance of mineral rights by a previous owner)
- FLOODPLAIN: overlays an approximately 9.34 acre semi-circle of the north/northwest part of the property, along the creek (see photos or Interactive Map)
- ELEVATION: 672 feet
- TERRAIN: flat + gently rolling
- CONDITION: defunct golf course, well maintained, healthy grass and trees
- ACCESS: via gated cul-de-sac at the end of Sun and Fun Court
- POWER: available
- WATER: available via City of Decatur or existing well
- WASTEWATER: available via City of Decatur or existing septic system
- TAXES: $15,874.72 in 2021 (for all three parcels)
- HOA: none
- HOA FEES: none
- DEED RESTRICTIONS: none
- ZONING: R1 – Single Family Residential (summarized below, see full doc here)
- minimum lot size (for subdividing) = 20,000 sf
- min lot width = 80 ft
- min front yard depth = 30 ft
- min rear yard depth = 20 ft
- min side yard = 10 ft
- max building height = 2.5 stories/35 feet
- modular homes on permanent foundations OK
- civic uses like parks, library, museums OK
- conditional uses include golf course, public pools, cemetary, day care
- minimum lot size (for subdividing) = 20,000 sf
- SCHOOL DISTRICTS: Parsons (Elementary) – Stephen Decatur (Middle School) – Macarthur (High School)
- NEAREST CITIES: Decatur < Springfield < St. Louis, MO
- NEAREST AIRPORTS: Decatur Airport (21 mins), Abraham Lincoln-Springfield (50 mins), St. Louis-Lambert International (2 hrs 38 mins)
- CITY GOVERNMENT
- COUNTY GOVERNMENT:
You can go view the property at your convenience – owner does not need to accompany. Please call/text us to let us know you’re heading out, so we can (1) confirm its availability (our land does sell fast), and (2) ensure we have our phone on us in case you need help or have any questions. We’d appreciate a couple hours notice if possible. In case you lose cell phone service, it may be helpful to print off as many helpful documents as you can before you head out there.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS: Click HERE to open the destination in Google Maps, and simply enter your starting point to get step-by-step directions. This will take you to the gate. You may park here and walk around the gate to tour the entire property. The parking lot will be to your right, and the cul de sac, clubhouse, and golf course will be ahead and to your left.
- From this link, you can press “Directions” (on the left), enter your starting point, and Google Maps will provide you with step-by-step directions.
- You can also click “Send to Phone” if you’re viewing this on your computer
- And “Save” to download the directions so they’ll still work if you lose cell service.
If for some reason you’re having trouble with that link, you can navigate to GPS Coordinates 39.906000, -88.961139.
WALKING THE PROPERTY LINES w/YOUR PHONE: We highly recommend downloading Google Earth to your phone if you don’t already have it. Then . . .
- Download the property boundary file (called a KML or KMZ file) here. You may be prompted to click “download” one more time, so do that . . . OR you may be prompted to immediately open the file with Google Earth and, in that case, do that and ignore the remaining steps. Otherwise . . .
- Open Google Earth
- Go to the main menu (the three horizontal lines at the top left of the screen), then Projects > Open > Import KML file > select the KML file you just downloaded (it should show up on that screen).
Now you should be able to see the property lines on the map, and the green dot represents where you’re currently standing. This is a very important tool to learn BEFORE you head out there. Please call us if you have any questions about it.
Access boundless recreational opportunities nearby, with Lake Decatur just 17 minutes to the south, home to historic Nelson Park, and offering water sports, wildlife vistas, miniature golf, dining, public gardens and picnic facilities on over 2,800 acres of water and 30 miles of shoreline. Nelson Park houses the Devon Lakeshore Amphitheater, having a capacity of 4,000 and hosting a wide range of entertainment, from music of many genres to comedians and movie nights among scenic lake views. 5 minutes ahead, across the lake, lie Scovill Zoo and the Children’s Museum of Illinois, with fun and interactive activities and exhibits geared toward children. 4 minutes to the south is the city of Decatur, hosting a Walmart, several grocery stores, local restaurants, fast food chains and medical clinics, but if you need access to major retailers, you can find them in Springfield, 45 minutes to the west.
NEARBY – Lake Decatur Lake Decatur Marina (17 minutes), Devon Lakeshore Amphitheater (17 minutes), Children’s Museum of Illinois (17 minutes), Scovill Zoo (18 minutes), Spitler Woods State Natural Area (26 minutes), Lincoln Trail Homestead (21 minutes), Hickory Point Golf Course (6 minutes).
- RETAIL – Walmart, Sam’s Club, Menards, Kohl’s, Ross, Best Buy, Lowe’s, Kroger, Save A Lot, Decatur Plaza, Harbor Freight Tools, Ashley Store, Big Lots, Dollar Tree, and many more.
- RESTAURANTS – Texas Roadhouse, Red Lobster, McDonald’s, Applebee’s, Buffalo Wild Wings, Cracker Barrel, Burger King, Chipotle, Diamonds Family Restaurant, The Wagon, Benny’s Grill, El Rodeo Mexican Restaurant, Burger Theory, Dairy Queen Grill & Chill, Wendy’s, Culver’s, and many more.
- MEDICAL SERVICES? Yes, Springfield Clinic Decatur, Crossing Healthcare, Kenwood Medical Center, Priority Health Family Medicine, Walgreens, CVS, Sav-Mor Pharmacy.
- RECREATIONAL – Scovill Zoo, Children’s Museum of Illinois, Rock Springs Conservation Area, Chevrolet Hall of Fame Museum, Nelson Park, Decatur IL Central Park, Fairview Park.
OWNER FINANCING: We do not offer owner-financing but you could get a loan through a bank or another lender and we’d be happy to coordinate with them.
OUTSIDE FINANCING: Your best deal for financing will come from a local bank or credit union and we can help you find a great deal. In this case, we have a few recommendations for land lenders in the area: (1) 1st MidAmerica Credit Union in Decatur at 618-258-4560. They offer land loans for 20% down and prefer a minimum credit score of 620. (2) Greg at Buena Vista National Bank in Decatur at 217-672-3596. They offer land loans for 30% down and prefer a minimum credit score of 640. (3) Ryan Doby at Hickory Point Bank and Trust in Decatur at 217-872-6396. They offer land loans for 20% down and prefer a minimum credit score of 650.
Call or text Scott directly at 314.639.9777 or email at email@example.com if you’d like to discuss an offer.
FOR SALE BY OWNER: We are investors, and are selling this lot For-Sale-By-Owner. You do not need to submit your offer through a real estate agent, and in our experience we close transactions more quickly and easily by having our dedicated transaction coordinator work directly with the Title Company and Buyers. We will also both save money on commission/fees by cutting out agents as the middle men. However, if you feel strongly about working with a Realtor, then you’re welcome to have them contact us on your behalf.
WHY ARE YOU SELLING IT SO CHEAP? We are often asked why we price our properties at below market value, and the answer is really simple: because we can, and that’s our core business model. We are investors who purchase properties at a large volume and deeply liquidated rates, and by passing this discount on to our buyers, we can sell land quickly . . . and more of it! In fact, our average property only lasts 2-3 weeks on the market (vs. industry average of about 6 months).
DISCLAIMER: We attempt to provide detailed, accurate and up-to-date information in our listings, in order to help our buyers to the best of our ability. However, it ultimately remains the buyer’s responsibility to perform their own due diligence and double check any details that are of significant importance to you including acreage, utilities, build-ability, and approved/allowable use-age for the property. We are happy to help however we can.